Ravenswood Mansion at Smith Park

 

Ravenswood Mansion was built by James Hazard Wilson II, who was born in 1800 and grew up in Williamson County. In 1821, Mr. Wilson married his cousin, Emeline Wilson, and prominent Tennessee and Texas historical figure Sam Houston served as best man. When the newlyweds began construction of their home, they christened it Ravenswood after Sam Houston, who’s Cherokee Indian name was Colonneh, which means, “The Raven,” most likely after the jet black hair of his youth. The Wilsons owned hundreds of acres around the mansion that were used as a cotton plantation, as well as other cotton plantations in Mississippi and Louisiana. They also operated steamboat lines that allowed cultivated cotton to get to markets in New Orleans in a matter of days rather than months.

Ravenswood was first listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. In December 2010, the City of Brentwood acquired 320 acres of the historic Ravenswood Farm property on Wilson Pike from the family of the late Marcella and Reese Smith for development as a park. The park officially opened to the public on November 8, 2014 and is the largest park in Brentwood. Today, Ravenswood mansion is available for weddings, receptions, parties, and other celebrations.

Ground Rules:

  • If a ball is overthrown into an inaccessible area or out of play, the runners will be allowed to advance one base.
  • A fly ball into the tree line is a foul ball.
  • A ground ball into the tree line is a ground rule double.

Map:

Address:

Ravenswood Mansion
1825 Wilson Pike
Brentwood, TN 37027